Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter

Tomorrow is Easter. But you probably know that. I have a picture of my husband and me on my desk from the Easter before we got married. It looks like it came with the frame. He, being a foot taller, is holding me close and arching forward to kiss me. I, being a foot shorter, am craning upward to return the kiss, all-the-while smiling and making it a not-so-perfect smooch, but an almost perfect image of two people in love.

I often wonder if I could ever love anyone as much as as I love my husband. There are times when other people will discuss their relationships, married or not, and I will quietly think to myself that there's no way they feel the same love that he and I share. Other times, we will be out and about shopping or dining together, and overhear another couple. The content of the conversation if often irrelavent, but inevitably I will look into my husband's eyes and sincerely ask with all my heart if he thinks they have what we have. He often says he doesn't know - the more diplomatic of the common responses. But every once in a while, he will look back at me, equally searching the depths of my irises and say, "I doubt it."

I'm sure I'm selfish and arrogant to think that what we share is bigger and better than any other couple's love for one another, but that, in itself, is comforting. I hope others feel this way about their mate. I hope there are lovers who can not see beyond the cartoon stars and twitting birds that emerge when they touch or open their eyes to each other every morning. But I'm happy knowing that this is my life. I'm happy knowing that I am so overwhelmed by our love for one another that I can't adequately put it into words. And most of all, I'm happy that I have someone who feels the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment