Every year, twice a year, when daylight savings occurs, my husband reminds me of a radio broadcast he heard. I don't know the particular station, but it was one of those talk radio shows where the DJs incessantly babble about politics and sports and think their opinions are worth gold. The topic on this particular day was the issue of the government changing the week of daylight savings. Apparently (remember-this is a second-hand story) a crotchety old woman called in and very boldly stated:
Daylight savings is burning my grass!
The implication was that the longer the government "allowed" the sun to be out, the more susceptible her precious grass was to the adverse effects of photosynthesis. What!?
My husband laughs hysterically every time he tells this story.
It's now a little after 9 am. My husband has a cold and is not yet out of bed. I've already changed all the clocks in the house so I don't think he will realize what day it is for a few hours yet. Somehow, though, I just know that we will be in the car today heading somewhere, listening to the radio, and he will erupt into spontaneous laughter at the thought of that poor woman's preposterous announcement.
I guess you could say I look forward to daylight savings every year.
Topkapi Palace
14 years ago
I know I'm, like, two months later, but this makes me laugh--just like the moose in the moose costume.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a blogger, and probably never will, but you know who this is.